Vital Statistics

Changing your name

Changing your name may be easier than you think. At Service New Brunswick, we will guide you step-by-step through the name change process. First, we need to find out what type of name change you want to make:

I want to change my last name because of a change in my marital status

If you are changing your surname because of marriage, divorce, separation, or the death of your spouse, you do not need to apply to the Vital Statistics Office to do so. Please see the section I want to change my last name because of a change in my marital status at the end of this document.

I want to correct my legal name.

If a mistake was made in the registration of your name, for example: names such as Michael vs. Micheal, we can help you correct it. In some cases, a change or correction to a person's name does not require a legal change of name under the Change of Name Act. Contact us at the Vital Statistics Office, by calling (506) 453-2385 or sending an e-mail to, an agent of Vital Statistics will evaluate your request to find out whether your name can be corrected through the amendment process of the Vital Statistics Act.

I want to change my legal name.

To change your given name or your surname, you need to make an application under the Change of Name Act. To be eligible you must be at least 19 years of age (or have been married regardless of age) and you must currently reside in New Brunswick.

I want to change my child's name.

A parent with legal custody of a child or legal guardian can apply to have a child's name changed. The consent of both parents is normally required. Also, children 12 years of age or older must give written consent to a change of their name.

What will I need?

What will I need to complete the name change process?

You will need:

  • A certified copy of your birth certificate, Landed Immigrant document, or Canadian Citizenship card.
  • A sponsor. Your sponsor must be an adult who has known you for at least two years and cannot be a member of your family.
  • A Notary Public or Commissioner of Oaths to witness the declarations that you and your sponsor make.

What information do I need to provide to change my name?

Your application will include personal information, such as your marital status and your occupation. You will also need to answer questions about any criminal record you might have and any court cases you are involved in. And, you will need to explain why you want to change your name.

Is there any chance that my application will not be successful?

Yes. There are several reasons why the Registrar General might refuse an application, including:

  • The name change could cause mistakes or confusion. For example, applications for well-known names will be refused.
  • The name change is sought for fraudulent, misrepresentational or other unlawful purposes. Name changes cannot be used to avoid criminal charges, financial obligations, or child support payments.
  • The name change will result in children in the lawful joint custody of their natural parents having different registered surnames.
  • The name change application does not comply with the regulations of the Change of Name Act. In some cases, the Registrar General may not be able to proceed with applications for a child's change of name, such as:
    • The applicant cannot provide the written consent of the other parent.
    • The applicant cannot provide written consent of the child, 12 years of age or older.
    • The Registrar General cannot notify all parents.
    • The Registrar General believes it is not in the best interest of the child to proceed with the name change.

What options do I have if my application is refused or if the Registrar General cannot proceed with my application?

The decision of the Registrar General can be appealed through the court system. You may also pursue your application for a change of name in court when the Registrar General cannot proceed with an application.

What if I cannot obtain the other parent's consent for my child's name change?

In such cases, a notice of application will be served to the other parent. It may prove necessary to pursue your application in court.

What if my birth or marriage records are located in another province?

We will notify the province where your records are located that you have changed your name. You will be responsible for any fees charged to have your birth or marriage records amended.

How much will it cost to change my name?

The cost of a name change depends on the type and number of changes you request. Please call the Vital Statistics Office, at (506) 453-2385 for more information on the fees applicable in your particular case. All fees are payable, by cheque or money order, to Service New Brunswick. You may also pay by Visa or Mastercard in person at any Service New Brunswick Service Centre.

Who should I notify about my new name?

You can obtain a new Medicare card, driver licence and vehicle registration through Service New Brunswick. Call Service New Brunswick toll free at 1-888-762-8600, visit our website at, or visit the Service Centre nearest you.

To change the name on your Social Insurance Number card, visit or call 1-800-206-7218 "option 3". You should also notify Revenue Canada, the Post Office, your bank, and bill-payment companies such as your providers of power, phone, and cable.

I want to change my last name because of a change in my marital status.

  • If you wish to adopt your spouse's last name after marriage or revert to a previous last name after divorce, separation or the death of your spouse, you do not need to apply for a change of name within the Vital Statistics office.
  • When you are married you may choose:
    • To keep your registered birth surname, which is the name listed on your birth certificate.
    • To keep the surname you retained from a previous marriage, if it was used immediately prior to your present marriage.
    • To assume the surname of your spouse.
    • Or, to assume a combination surname comprised of both your surnames, with or without a hyphen.

For more information, call Service New Brunswick at 1-888-762-8600.


© 2017 Service New Brunswick Secured by Entrust The Province of New Brunswick Website