Menu Close Menu

Residential Tenancies Tribunal

I am a Tenant - Problem With Your Landlord or Rental Unit?
Problem With Your Landlord or Rental Unit?
Steps to resolve your problem:

1. Review your lease and talk it through:
In many cases, disputes between landlords and tenants can be resolved simply by knowing your rights and obligations, then working it out together. A proper residential lease will have most of the information you need on how to resolve common disputes.

2. Prepare and serve written/formal complaint
If you can’t resolve the issue through discussion, you can take a more formal approach by putting your complaint in writing and serving it to your landlord by using the Notice of Complaint Form.
IMPORTANT: Keep a copy of the completed letter for your file! You will need it if you have to apply to the Residential Tenancies Tribunal for assistance at a later date.
** For non-urgent matters, you must provide a minimum of seven days for the landlord to resolve the issue(s).

3. Apply for help from the Residential Tenancies Tribunal
Some disputes are more complex and solutions are not possible even after serving proper notice. In this case, you can apply for assistance from the Residential Tenancies Tribunal by completing the Tenant Application for Assistance Form.
You will receive confirmation within one business day of your application being received and your file will be assigned a case number.
*Steps 1 and 2 must be completed before applying to the Residential Tenancies Tribunal unless it’s an emergency such as there being no water to the premises, no heat in winter, there’s a fire, or there’s a flood)

4. Mediation
Once your case has been processed and is ready to be reviewed, a Residential Tenancies Officer will be assigned to investigate the dispute and attempt to mediate the issues. The goal of this step is to resolve the dispute as quickly as possible without having the Residential Tenancies Officer decide for you.

5. Decision
If the landlord and tenant are not able to reach a solution together with mediation, the Residential Tenancies Officer will make a final decision. This will include any orders or actions that may be required to be taken.

Emergency/ Urgent Situations

What is an emergency/ urgent situation? Examples:

What can I do in the case of an emergency?
Go to Step 3 under Steps to Resolve your Problem.

How to serve a notice or a document:

What is the proper way for a tenant or landlord to serve a notice?

Are there other options for a tenant to serve a notice on a landlord?
A tenant may:

Service New Brunswick
Government of New Brunswick
© 2017 Service New Brunswick
Secured by Entrust
The Province of New Brunswick Website